Monday, October 29, 2007

Facebook Watchers!


Since I just wrote my last blog about
Facebook making its way on to Blackberry cellphones I thought that it was only appropriate to talk about a new article that I found titled, Facebook Employees Know Whose Profiles You Look At. After reading this article I was shocked to find out that employees can sit around the computer at times keeping track of whose profiles people are looking at on Facebook.

I know that it is appropriate to be able to find out what people are doing, (for security purposes), but to allow just basic employees this same privilege? The article states, "if your friend works at Facebook and you're crushing on him/her, then maybe you should consider NOT camping out on his or profile as a way of satisfying your creepy longing, e-stalker," (Terrence O' Brien).

Although I was shocked when I read this article I am really not upset that employees can view everyone's profile. I never really took the time to think about it until reading about this and after really thinking about it, I said to myself why shouldn't employees be allowed to look at people's profiles. The only thing that concerns me is I hope that people are actually doing their job, not just looking at people's profiles (and the profiles that those people have been looking at) for entertainment. It is Facebook employees jobs to keep the website in order. I would assume that they would need to be able to track member's courses in order to do so. As long as they are just looking and not sending random messages to the most visited profiles by Facebook members it seems ok to me. What do y'all think?


2 comments:

BlairL84 said...

Wow. I am pretty shocked too. I think that employees should be careful about what they do and do not do on the net while at work. I don't think Facebook is necessarily bad, but if this is going on then just leave it for home I say!

Lauren said...

I knew the time would come one day when this would happen. Employers have been known to look at Myspace accounts so it has come time when they look at people's FaceBook accounts. I personally do not like the, what seems to be, evasion of privacy, but work is not the place to be spending time looking at friends profiles or pictures.