Monday, October 1, 2007

Citizen Marketers: The Power of One

As we all know Jackie Huba, the co-author of the class text, Citizen Marketers:When People Are the Message came and talked to the class this past Thursday. She was very interesting and fun to listen to. As she was talking about the experiences she encountered during writing the book, one story really caught my attention. The story was about Brian Finklestein and his troubles with Comcast. This story was mentioned in chapter 6 of the book, titled, The Power of One. First off, I thought the video he designed was very well put together. I think that he did the right thing. I would have been angry if someone came to my house and took an hour and a half long nap, and on top of that the company still had him on hold.

Throughout this chapter I learned how much power a single person can have. It only took Brain to ignite a fire of angry customers and the bad experiences they had in the past with Comcast. The same thing went for the Apple story that happened in the past. It is funny because I had that same thing happen to my Ipod. After owning it for about fourteen months my battery went dead after about thirty minutes/even when it was fully charged. But, with the speed of technology/the fast pace that new products come out and the laziness to deal with customer service, I decided to update and buy a new one. But, if I would have known then what I know now about the hassle Apple was giving customers about Ipod batteries, I probably would have dug further into the situation. If I would have been given a really hard time by Apple representatives, like Casey Neistat was I might have even jumped on the bandwagon the Neistat brothers campaign.

By reading this chapter I have learned that blogging can be very powerful, both hurting a company and/or helping it out. The chapter gives an example of blogging actually helping out a company. A women loved target so much that she decided to blog about it. Her blog got popular and more people begin to shop at Target. Everyday I continue to be amazed at the power that the internet has, and the power that blogging has. I do not know how in the past I was so blinded. Who would have ever thought that a simple blog could ignite so much controversy. I surely didn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Comcast horror stories, check out this site:
http://comcastmustdie.blogspot.com/