St. Edward's University
Communication Major Searching for Job in the Social Media Field
December 1, 2007
- In May of 2008 I will be graduating from St. Edward’s University with a bachelor’s degree in Communication focusing on Public Relations, Advertising, and Marketing. Upon graduating I hope to get a job with a company that deals with social media.
- Some of the related course work that I feel will benefit me in a job dealing with social media is: Public Relations, Advertising, Organizational Communication, Media Communication, Journalism, Social Media & Internet PR, and Advertising Creative Strategies.
- Since June of 2007, I have had the opportunity to work at Clear Channel Radio’s 96.7 Kiss FM for the number one rated morning show in Austin. Through this internship I have learned how to put things on the web and how to work with many different forms of sound editing software.
- Since August of 2006, I have also had the opportunity to work at St. Edward’s University for the School of Humanities. Throughout this job I have become skilled at using InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop. I have also had the opportunity to book hotels, order food, and make reservations for events online.
- Through attending St. Edward’s University I feel that I have had many opportunities to learn about the web and about how technology is taking the world by storm. In my Social Media & Internet PR class I have had the opportunity to blog regularly, create podcasts and web videos, learn about the many different forms of social networking sites, and how to use all the tools that keep everyone connected throughout the web.
- By having the opportunity to take Advertising Creative Strategies I have been given the advantage of learning how to create television, radio, newspaper, and magazine layouts.
- Throughout my experience at St. Edward’s University some great things have happened to me. They include: being a part of the Communication Society, being given many Student at Work Awards (SAW) for my well done job with the Humanities office, volunteering for Meals on Wheels, and making the Dean’s List.
These Quotes Came From Co-Workers
"Shane is one of the most reliable people I know. He is really easy to get along with and always makes the day more enjoyable." -Shelly
"Shane has taught me a lot about good work ethic. He knows when it is time to be serious and I have learned a lot from him. I would call him the leader of the group." -Erik
"Shane defines what it means to be all around talented. Every task that has been put in front of him he has mastered." -Chelsea
Shane Montoya arrived in Austin, TX after deciding to attend St. Edward's University in 2004. He is in his fourth year there and intends to graduate in May of 2008. His hometown is only an hour and a half away in Waco where he lived for 18 years of his life. There he attended Reicher Catholic High School. He is a dedicated individual who has worked hard to get where he is today. He is easy to get along with and enjoys life. When he is not busy (which is rare) he enjoys outdoor activities and traveling.