Saturday, December 1, 2007

Amazon Kindle


According to an article that I just recently read titled, Is the Amazon Kindle Really the Ipod of Books, it seems that a new invention is making its way onto the market. The Kindle is a new electronic device where a person can download entire books, magazines, newspapers, and even their favorite blogs. Some people are even comparing this new device to be the Ipod of books.

In the article it stated that with this device you get free wireless Internet to browse for over 90,000 books. Also, the downloading is really fast. This to me looks like it is a really cool device especially for those that like to keep up with the latest technology and for those that like to read a lot. In a sense it really does seem like it could be the Ipod of books. Ipod has Itunes which has a never ending list of songs, and it seems that this new reading device has a source that is similar that has a never ending list of books.

I had never heard or seen anything like this device before. I was really shocked when I stumbled on this article because this is something that I am sure that a lot of people would want to get there hands on. The article said that to purchase a book using this device it usually would cost somewhere around $9.99 and to buy the new kindle it would cost a person $399.

While this device seems like it can cause no harm I can only help but wonder is this going to cause the same problem for the book industries that the Ipod has for music industries. All that I hear about now is how music industries are in panic because of the new wave of digital downloading. More and more people are turning to digital downloading because it is more convenient and usually cheaper. Although I don't think that this product will ever be as popular as the Ipod I do think that it will cause a stir between book industries. If the kindle ever takes off PR teams are going to have to ready to provide there cases because I am sure that a lot of book industries are going to be complaining when they lose a lot of their business.

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

I just had a big conversation about this with someone, I'm really interested in seeing how it all pans out.