Saturday, December 1, 2007

Should You Blog?


Chapter 11 of The New Influencers titled Next Steps posed the question of who should be blogging? The book tailored this question towards business owners. It stated that blogging is a great way for business owners to get their word out there. Whether their word may be promotion for a new product or rebuttal to an angry customers complaints the important thing is that through blogging they have a wide range to reach people.

One of the other things that the chapter talks about is how rankings fall for professional bloggers when they take a break. The book stated "prominent blogger Stowe Boyd said that if he takes just a week off from blogging, his Technorati ranking drops from 2,100 to 2,300," (pg 203). Fans of bloggers are serious. I don't know how many times I have stopped reading blogs because there is no new information put up for days. Blogging can be done just for fun, but if you really want a following you better be willing to dedicate a lot of time to it!

In my personal opinion I think that blogging is an excellent thing to do, especially if you have time. Blogging really does take up some time but I am glad that I started doing it this semester. Before this class I really didn't see any benefits that could come from it, but after doing it for almost five months I will never stop blogging. I have learned more about the web and new technology in these past months than I have in my entire life. There are so many great things that the web has to offer and blogging is one of them. Everyone really should take advantage of it, especially those that have a small business. Blogging would be a great way for them to get their name out there and maybe even gain some loyal customers. One day I hope to open up my own business and I will definitely be blogging about it. Blogging to me allows you to in a way act like your own PR consultant. You are the one in charge of the face that you are giving the company and the one who is in charge of your companies reputation. Blogging is one way to shape your company into whatever you want it be. Just make sure that you are being truthful. Go ahead and give blogging a try!

No comments: